2011年9月8日 星期四

體會的意思 Meaning of 體會 (currently translated to "experience and acceptance")

I struggled with the translation of "體會" in English. If we break down "體會" and translate it literally, it means "body's understanding." "Understanding" by itself does not seem to convey the meaning of "體會" precisely enough in this context. This meant I don't understand "體會" myself.

有一段時間,我想不出怎麼樣翻譯「體會」才能正確的用英文表達這兩個字的意思。從字面上來看,它的意思是「身體的理解」,但是「Understand」好像不夠正確。這表示我也不是很了解「體會」的意思。

But after I wrote "The First Step 1", I realize that in our context, "體會" means "understand by both the body and the brain," and not "understand by the brain alone."

當我寫完「修行的第一步 1」, 我有了新的詮釋。在這裡,「體會」的意思是「身體跟腦的了解,」不是「大腦的了解。」

Just like it is impossible to truly understand the concept of "fire" by words along. Unless you see the flame and feel the heat, you wont really understand what a "fire" is. The same for the concepts of Śūnyatā and Nidānas. So I'll translate "體會" to "empirically understand" for now.

就像您是不可能從字眼去真正理解「火」的概念,您需要看到火焰跟感覺它的熱才能體會「火」。 「空」跟「因缘」也是需要被體會的。 因此,我會用 "empirically understand" 去翻譯「體會」。

So I'll put this new definition in the Glossary and modify the previous articles with this new translation.

所以,我會把這個定義加進詞彙和修改以前的文章。


上一篇 Previous Part                                               Next Part 下一篇

沒有留言: